EPSO working groups
Joint FAO & EPSO Workshop on Plant Sciences for Sustainable Crop Production, Rome (IT), June 2012
Title: “Plant Sciences for Sustainable Crop Production: Strengthening Partnerships between Europe and Developing Countries”
- Venue and date: FAO Headquarters, Rome, Italy, 25.6.2012 (Day 1), Hotel Aran Mantegna , 26-27.6.2012 (Day 2, Day 3)
- Final programme
- Concept note
- Information note
- Parallel Working Group reports
The Consultation aimed to establish long-term partnerships in plant science research, education and development, technology transfer/access and capacity building for addressing the challenges of sustainable crop production for food and nutrition security. Mechanisms for building such partnerships were explored and three pilot project proposals were discussed/developed that focus on crops of high importance for sub Saharan Africa countries. The tentative proposals included projects for (i) The Cassava value chain, (ii) Maize and associated legume crops, and (iii) Underutilized/local fruit and vegetable crops.
The next steps include a Regional Workshop in SSA to build upon this initiative and consolidate long term partnerships linking farmers and researchers. A White Paper for longer term joint action will also be prepared. As such it will consist of the vision, the current state of the art and actions in the short, medium and longer term as appropriate. It will describe the current opportunities and future potential for the plant sciences and discuss suggestions for new directions in research and development, technology transfer and capacity building in Europe and Sub-Saharan Africa countries, and developing countries at large.
Participants: Decision makers, scientists, extension providers or their organizations and networks, public and private, from both Europe and from Sub-Saharan Africa, and some from Latin America and Asia; From local, national, sub-regional as well as regional levels
- AGP, FAO: Kakoli Ghosh, Arshiya Noorani, Kent Nnadozie, Christian Nolte, Remi Nono Womdin, Joyce Mulila-Mitti. Contact person: Kakoli Ghosh
- EPSO: Jean-Christophe Glaszmann (CIRAD, FR), Karin Metzlaff (EPSO), Eckhard George (Leibniz, DE), Bruce Osborne (UCD, IE), Charles Spillane (NUI, IE), Sylvie Lewicki-Dhainaut (CIRAD, FR). Contact person: Karin Metzlaff
Additional support to the group is provided by Stefania Grando (CGIAR).
- Vacant PhD positions ‘Develop genetically engineered mammalian and plant host cells with defined pharmacological potential’, University of Copenhagen - deadline 3.6.2013
- Engineer / post doc expert in cloning, construct preparation and molecular characterisation of plants, CIRAD, France
- Post doctoral fellow (m/f), Laboratory of Tropical Crop Improvement, Division of Plant Biotechnics, KU Leuven, Belgium - deadline 15.6.2013