EPSO working groups
'Plants for the Future' - European Technology Platform
EUROPEAN TECHNOLOGY PLATFORM
Plants for the Future
The European Technology Platform (ETP) 'Plants for the Future' is a stakeholder forum for the plant sector, including plant genomics and biotechnology, that was initiated by the European Commission in 2003. It provides a 20-year vision and a short-, medium- and long-term Strategic Research Agenda for Europe’s plant sector setting out a consensus on the research needed to fulfil the vision.
Its members come from industry, farmer organisations, academia and other stakeholder groups. It was supported by the European Commission via a Specific Support Action under FP6 until July 2007 and the major public and private stakeholders in the field. Since April 2008, the Plant ETP is a membership based ETP where all members agreed on the aim, main tasks, structure and budget (including their own contributions) of the ETP for a three year period (2008-2010).
The next step forward
The Plant ETP is in the implementation phase. It's members are developing Action Plans for Research, Innovation and Education. Regarding research, Plant ETP will work with a focus on promoting and advocating strategic research and internationally competitive research.
In addition, EPSO - on behalf of Plant ETP - participates in European projects that develop research strategies for the future, such as the BECOTEPS project (jointly with 8 other ETPs on Bioeconomy) and the STAR-Colibri project (jointly with 4 other ETPs on Biorefineries).
The SRA identifies five challenges for Europe’s society and economy to which the plant sector can contribute:
- Healthy, safe and sufficient food and feed
- Plant-based products – chemicals and energy
- Sustainable agriculture, forestry and landscape
- Vibrant and competitive basic research
- Consumer choice and governance
- Press Release ‘European Parliament AGRI Committee underlines value of plant breeding sector’, 24.1.2014
- Implementing the Strategic Research Agenda
- Strategic Research Agenda (June 2007); summary ;
- Launch of the Final Strategic Research Agenda in the European Parliament in Brussels on 25 June 2007
- ETP Plant Steering Committee Meeting, Cologne, Germany (May 2007)
- Stakeholders Proposal for a Strategic Research Agenda 2025 (Aug 2005): part I Summary; part II SRA; part III Draft Action Plan 2010
- Launch of the "Stakeholders Proposal for a Strategic Research Agenda" in Strasbourg (July 2005)
- Member State Consultation on the “Stakeholder proposal for a Strategic Research Agenda” (status on May 2007)
- Scientists contribute to the discussion on the Strategic Research Agenda with the paper “European Plant Science: a field of opportunities”, J Exp Bot, July 05
- Postdoctoral Research Scientist, John Innes Centre, UK, Deadline 30 September 2014
- Postdoc in Drivers of drifts and extreme events within the albedo and eddy covariance measurement long series over French forests, grasslands and crops, INRA, France, Deadline 30 October 2014
- Postdoc in Regional impacts of various scenarios of land planning on climate and air quality, INRA, France, Deadline 30 September