EPSO working groups
5th Workshop on Post Market Environmental Monitoring of Genetically Modified Plants: State of the Art, 9-11 May, 2012, Berlin-Dahlem, Germany
Announcement, March 2012
Following the four workshops on "Post Market Environmental Monitoring of Genetically Modified Plants” (PMEM) from 2006 to 2010 the workshop in 2012 will explore the updated GMO monitoring challenges linked to the cultivation of GM crops worldwide.
Key topics in 2012:
- Conclusions on latest guidance and opinions on PMEM by EFSA and the European Commission
- State of the art and recommendations for PMEM of soils
- International initiatives and experiences with PMEM
Though GM crops are well established worldwide, European experiences in cultivation and consequently on large-scale monitoring are limited. Some basic PMEM tools have been established since 2001 in the EU, but there is still an ongoing discussion on further improvements. Sound monitoring methods, thorough statistical analysis of data, as well as integrated information and knowledge management systems are prerequisites for the timely provision of information to decision makers and other stakeholders.
In 2011 the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) discussed and published an updated guidance document for PMEM. In addition experiences from few PMEM reports are available. Nevertheless, public statements indicate that some issues even on established PMEM methods may need further consideration with regard to implementation, necessities and responsibilities.
The potential of soil monitoring for the impact of GM crop cultivation has been subject of research for several years. The workshop will summarize the findings and draw conclusions on methodologies, necessities and organisation of soil PMEM.
A plenary session on 10 May 2012 will provide a general introduction to the topics and
present international viewpoints by invited speakers. On 11 May 2012 three break-out
working groups will elaborate on key issues.
For further details on the workshop - dates, fees, accomodation, travel
- Vacant PhD positions ‘Develop genetically engineered mammalian and plant host cells with defined pharmacological potential’, University of Copenhagen - deadline 3.6.2013
- Engineer / post doc expert in cloning, construct preparation and molecular characterisation of plants, CIRAD, France
- Post doctoral fellow (m/f), Laboratory of Tropical Crop Improvement, Division of Plant Biotechnics, KU Leuven, Belgium - deadline 15.6.2013