EPSO working groups
Welcome European Plant Science Organisation
The European Plant Science Organisation
EPSO is an independent academic organisation that represents more than 220 research institutes, departments and universities from 31 countries in Europe and beyond. EPSO's mission is to improve the impact and visibility of plant science in Europe. Learn more about EPSO and why plants matter.
Click here to become a personal member.
'This is our future, and we have to engage in it'. At the 2013 EPSO AGM in Greece, EPSO representatives expressed their support in video statements. Watch the final compilation.
- EC: Opens Public Stakeholder Consultation - Interim evaluation of Horizon 2020, 20.10.2016. Submission deadline is 15.01.2017. EPSO encourages scientists to submit and to consider relevant statements from ISE (14.4.2016) and ISE / EuroScience (26.7.2016) highlighting that the Societal Challenges pillar of Horizon 2020 misses out on the potential from projects that include or focus on collaborative basic research as part of the research and innovation cycle across Europe
- EC: European research and innovation for Food and Nutrition Security (FNS) – FOOD2030 Conference background document, 13.10.2016, comprising the FNS priorities NUTRITION for sustainable and healthy diets, CLIMATE smart and environmentally sustainable food systems, CIRCULARITY and resource efficiency of food systems, and INNOVATION and empowerment of communities. More on Food 2030 policy. See EPSO submission towards Food 2030 initiative, 22.7.2016
- European Parliament: The Paris Agreement, a globally binding deal to limit climate change, was ratified with an overwhelming majority and will come into force next month, 4.10.2016
- Pardey et. al.: Agricultural R&D is on the move, Nature 303, 301-303. See extracted data on our fact collection page. 15.9.2016
- EPSO: 58 European and Global research organisations call upon the European Parliament to encourage society to respect independent science advice and to condemn physical attacks on scientists. Updated Open letter 7.9.2016, Press information 4.7.2016, see EP President response letter 31.8.2016
- M Schulz, President European Parliament: Such attacks can only be condemned strongly ..The European Parliament fully recognizes the crucial role of scientific research for our society and the need for independent evidence meeting the highest scientific standards, letter, 31.8.2016 response to the EPSO President and the letter signed by 58 European and national societies
- EPSO: Plant Biology Europe EPSO/FESPB 2016 Congress 26-30.6.2016, Prague, EPSO Conference report, including information on science sessions, the science policy session (and presentations), EPSO Conference Support Grants recipients and the very active social media activity and the EPSO Young Plant Scientist Award – winners Ruie LIU and Malaika K EBERT, 05.9.2016
- LERU: H2020 should focus on innovative collaborative discovery research, not on technology readiness, 29.8.2016
- EPSO: , All information for plant scientists in one document plus additional researched information. Updated information includes country participation (including UK), final call texts, 2014 call analysis, 24.8.2016
- Swiss Academies: New plant breeding techniques for Swiss agriculture – significant potential, uncertain future, fact sheet on the new plant breeding techniques, as well in DE, FR, 18.8.2016
- ISE and EuroScience offer to engage in dialogue with the EC on the H2020 interim evaluation, at a meeting with Commissioner Moedas in Manchester, 26.7.2016 This highlights that the Societal Challenges pillar of Horizon 2020 misses out on the potential from projects that include or focus on collaborative basic research as part of the research and innovation cycle across Europe.
- EPSO: Input towards the European Commission Horizon 2020, Societal Challenge 2 strategy 2018-20, and EPSO online submission to EC consultation SC2, both 25.7.2016
- EC: Strategic approach to EU agricultural research and innovation, final paper, 20.7.2016, finalised after the DG AGRI conference on the issue on 28.1.2016
- EPSO: BREXIT: The necessity of avoiding the fragmentation of European Science, Open letter, 15.7.2016. Together scientists can help build an inclusive, collaborating and fairer Europe and world.
- 110 Nobel Laureates plus 4311 scientists and citizens support Precision Agriculture (GMOs): by signing an open letter Supporting Precision Agriculture (GMOs) to the Leaders of Greenpeace, the United Nations and Governments around the world. They criticize Greenpeace to neglect scientific facts about safety and benefit of the technology, 18.7.2016. Read the letter and sign it at http://supportprecisionagriculture.org/
- EPSO: Briefing on the LIFE Programme Call 2016 for EPSO Members, 14.7.2016
- OECD-FAO: Agricultural Outlook 2016-2025, 4.7.2016
- EPSO: Report on the Plant ETP workshop at the European Parliament and EPSO's view on "Food and Nutritional Security", 9.6.2016
- EPSO: Submission to EC consultation on PRIMA (Partnership for Research and Innovation in the Mediterranean Area) in Horizon 2020 (summary reply 23.5.2016), completed online questionnaire 22.4.2016
- FAO: Study “Plates, pyramids, planet- Developments in national healthy and sustainable dietary guidelines: a state of play assessment” by FAO and the Food Climate Research Network (FCRN), 19.5.2016, shows that promoting good nutrition can go hand in hand with addressing sustainability and climate change and fundamental role of plant science / sector in this systems approach. Press release
EPSO: Biorefineries Working Group Submission to the EC consultation ‘A sustainable bioenergy policy for the period after 2020', 10.5.2016
EPSO: Analysis of Horizon 2020 Calls in 2014 for plant scientists available in Members Section, 3.5.2016
ISE: Conclusions from the ISE event "Is there a funding gap on collaborative basic research in Europe?" which was held on 7 April 2016 in Brussels, 14.4.2016
- EPSO: Submission to EC consultation on SC5 - Potential priorities for research and innovation in the 2018-20 Work Programme of Horizon 2020 Societal Challenge “Climate action, Environment, Resource efficiency and Raw materials”, 8.4.2016
Plant ETP: Study on "The Economic, Social, and Environmental Value of Plant Breeding in the European Union" published, 15.3.2016
- Breaking News Archive | List of EPSO Publications & Statements
Upcoming EPSO events:
- Fascination of Plants Day 2017 - Join the bienniel global celebration of Plant Science organised under the umbrella of EPSO.
Recent EPSO events:
- EPSO: Plant Biology Europe EPSO/FESPB 2016 Congress 26-30.6.2016, Prague, EPSO Conference report, including information on science sessions, science policy sessions (and presentations), EPSO Conference Support Grants recipients and the very active social media activity and the EPSO Young Plant Scientist Award – winners Ruie LIU and Malaika K EBERT, 14.7.2016
- EPSO: EC-EPSO EXPO Conference on ‘Crop genetic improvement technologies’ on 14 July 2015 at the CNR headquarter in Milano was a major success with excellent and well balanced presentations and very open discussions - see discussion on twitter hashtag #expocrops. Read the background information here, 16.7.2015
EPSO members contact us to get involved in one of the working groups.