EPSO working groups
Welcome European Plant Science Organisation
The European Plant Science Organisation
EPSO is an independent academic organisation that represents more than 226 research institutes, departments and universities from 30 countries in Europe and beyond. EPSO's mission is to improve the impact and visibility of plant science in Europe. Learn more about EPSO and why plants matter.
Click here to become a personal member.
'This is our future, and we have to engage in it'. At the 2013 EPSO AGM in Greece, EPSO representatives expressed their support in video statements. Watch the final compilation.
Log in to read news on Horizon 2020, EPSO's future priorities and our latest activites
EC: Georgia is now fully associated to Horizon 2020; research institutes, universities & researchers can all fully participate in projects, 29.4.2016
ERA-CAPS: 3rd ERA-CAPS call preannouncement, 4.4.2016 – Bottom-up collaboration in molecular plant sciences including e.g. Food and nutrition security, Non-food crops, Adaptation to a changing climate, biotic/abiotic stress. In addition, a data-oriented sub-call is considered. Already funding organisations from 7 countries indicated participation in this call. Foreseen timing: call announcement 23.6.2016, deadline pre-proposals 28.9.2016.
EPSO: Fact sheets on New Breeding Technologies, 21.3.2016. Including: Site-Directed Nucleases (e.g. genome editing), Oligonucleotide-Directed Mutagenesis, RNA-directed DNA-Methylation, Cisgenesis, Grafting using GM plants, Reverse breeding, and Agroinfiltration.
EPSO published its Statement on Crop Genetic Improvement Technologies, 18.12.2015.
Plant ETP: The new study on "The Economic, Social, and Environmental Value of Plant Breeding in the European Union" was launched in collaboration with Jasenko Selimovic MEP, 15.3.2016
EIP-AGRI: Call for Experts on "Forest biomass" and "Nutrient recycling" for Focus Groups, Deadline 21 March 2016, 7.3.2016
- ERA-GAS: Announcement of a call on monitoring & mitigation of Greenhouse gases from agri- and silvi-culture, 4.3.2016 4 Research themes 1) National GHG inventories and monitoring, 2) Implementation of GHG mitigation technologies 3) State of the art production systems 4) Assessment of policy & economic measures
EPSO: Fascination of Plants Day Success Stories 2015, From Bosnia to Bolivia, from South Africa to South Korea, FoPD 2015 truly united a global research community and engaged the public with plant science on an unprecedented scale. Read Success Stories and social media highlights from just some of the 965 events across 56 countries, 29.2.2016
American Phytopathological Society: Phytobiomes: A Roadmap for Research and Translation, 29.2.2016
- EPSO: Analysis of the number of preproposal submissions for the 2016 calls of Horizon 2020 Societal Challenge 2, 24.02.2016
- EPSO: selected the recipients of the EPSO Conference Support Grants to facilitate participation to the Plant Biology Europe Conference in Prague 26-30.6.2016 from across Europe. Recipients will present a poster and join the social media activity around the conference. 10.2.2016
- LIFE Programme: Indicative planning for the 2016 LIFE Call, 8.2.2016
- Dutch EU Presidency and EC: The fourth BioEconomy Stakeholders’ Conference 12-13.4.2016 in Utrecht NL registration started, 5.2.2016; Aim: Detect the needs of the European BioEconomy; Input to the European BioEconomy Strategy review
- EC: New European "Food Research Area" announced, to be launched in mid-October 2016, 28.1.2016
- EC: DG AGRI major conference on Agricultural research and innovation strategy in Brussels 27-28.1.2016. Presentations online, 28.1.2016
- EPSO: EPSO Young Plant Scientist Award – winners Ruie LIU (fundamental plant research) and Malaika K EBERT (applied plant research). Ruie and Malaika will present their research at the Plant Biology Europe EPSO/FESPB congress in Prague 26th-30th June, 18.1.2016
- EPSO: Updated Statement: Crop Genetic Improvement Technologies, 18.12.2015; EPSO asks the EC to follow the Member States “New Techniques Working Group” report and provide legal certainty for science and industry regarding application and exploration of New Plant Breeding Techniques (NPBTs) to allow the plant sector addressing the Grand Challenges. Interpretation of EU GMO legislation as both process and product based could help to clarify the legal status of the NPBTs
- EP: Deal on new measures to tackle influx of new pests, such as Xylella fastidiosa, into the EU, 17.12.2015
- EPSO: Submission to EC consultation on the Draft “Strategic approach to agricultural research and innovation”, 15.12.2015 Submission summary and completed questionnaire, calling to urgently strengthen collaborative basic research in the Societal Challenges, supporting all technologies equally, including improvement of yield and yield stability and plant compounds for human nutrition and health
- EP: Draft report - Technological solutions to sustainable agriculture in the EU, 14.12.2015
- EP: Draft report - Enhancing innovation and economic development in future European farm management, 14.12.2015
- EPSO: Updated Briefing on EC Horizon 2020 Official Work Programmes 2016/17, 11.12.2015 on the members’ only website. All information for plant scientists in one document and additional researched information e.g. success rates WP 2014 calls, Updated: Hints on ERC, Marie-Curie and Societal Challenges proposals, Starting fact and policy collection
- UNFCCC: The Paris Agreement is adopted, representing a globally binding climate deal, 12.12.2015 Draft Agreement in all UN languages
- Plant-ETP: Press Release on the European Parliament-Plant ETP Dinner Workshop 'Climate change - The Role of Plants' that took place on 1st December, 8.12.2015
- EC: Adopted an ambitious new Circular Economy Package to stimulate Europe's transition towards a circular economy which will boost global competitiveness, foster sustainable economic growth and generate new jobs, 2.12.2015 Bioeconomy is one of the main contributors to implement this policy
- EPSO: Draft report on the EC-EPSO EXPO Conference on ‘Crop genetic improvement technologies’ in Milano published, 17.11.2015
- Swedish Board of Agriculture: Confirms interpretation that plant genomes edited with CRISPR-Cas9 do not fall under EU GMO definition, 17.11.2015
- EC: Horizon 2020 work programmes for 2016-2017 published, 2016 final, 2017 indicative, 14.10.2015: ERC, Marie Curie, Infrastructures, LEITs Biotechnology, SC1 (Health), SC2 (Bioeconomy), SC3 (Energy), SC5 (Climate)
- EPSO: Submission to EC consultation on the Role of Research in Global Food and Nutrition Security (summary reply), 1.9.2015; completed online questionnaire
- Breaking News Archive | List of EPSO Publications & Statements
Upcoming EPSO events:
- Plant Biology Europe EPSO/FESPB 2016 Congress 26-30.6.2016, Prague – See EPSO 2016 Conference page for EPSO Young Pant Scientist Award and EPSO Conference support grants
- Fascination of Plants Day 2017 - Join the bienniel global celebration of Plant Science organised under the umbrella of EPSO
Recent EPSO events:
- EPSO: EC-EPSO EXPO Conference on ‘Crop genetic improvement technologies’ on 14 July 2015 at the CNR headquarter in Milano was a major success with excellent and well balanced presentations and very open discussions - see discussion on twitter hashtag #expocrops. Read the background information here, 16.7.2015
Over 580 institutions from 56 countries welcomed thousands of visitors to the 3rd FoPD. Read the Success Stories.
- FESPB/EPSO Congress 22-26.6.2014, Dublin, Programme, Programme of experts for EPSO stand
- Horticulture for the 21st Century' Workshop, 11-12.11.2013, Berlin (DE) - Programme | participant list, 13.11.2013
EPSO members contact us to get involved in one of the working groups.
- Postdoctoral position – design principles of paired intracellular plant immune receptor complexes
- Post-doctoral Research Scientist - Post-Doctoral Research Scientist to join us as a result of a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) between Rothamsted Research and Plant Impact plc
- Professorship - Plant Sciences